The word prompt at Creativity Boot Camp for day 12 was "Smooth" and I have been so stumped! I thought about smooth jazz, silk, baby skin, pearls and creamy desserts. At about 11 o'clock last night I was looking at the 200 photos I took during the day- all crap. This morning my husband gave me an idea and I think it worked! What do you think?
Yes, I skipped yesterday ("ornament") because I have completely run out of creative steam. Does anyone else feel like that? The other entries last week were incredible and inspiring. I have been stretched and I have grown but yesterday and today I don't feel up for the challenge. Our Random Word Prompt today is "drizzle." I love that word! It makes me think of this:
but what is a creative way to include the word or theme "Drizzle" in my artwork? I just don't know!
Stephanie at "Home on North Fillmore" passed on this award- what a delightful surprise! Thank you Stephanie! Now I'm supposed to tell 10 things about me. When I start talking about myself I think of Jane Austen's "Emma" where Frank Churchill insists that each person should say "one thing very clever, or two things moderately clever, or three things very dull indeed" and I can say plenty of dull things... anyway, here goes:
1. My love of art comes from my dad who taught me to copy the old Masters and encouraged me to try new things. If it wasn't for him I probably would never have learned drawing, water color or oil painting.
2. Music is the same- dad would play music for us at the breakfast table and tell us to guess the composer! His knowledge and his collection of music are astounding. I didn't realize how much I love music until I got married and had nothing to listen to... now I listen to Pandora all the time! My station is kinda weird because I love so many different types of music- Aaron Copeland, James Horner, The Beatles, Bob Dylan, Andrew Lloyd Weber, Fernando Ortega, Alan Jackson... and my newest fave is Lady Antebellum.
3. I love good literature. My mom and dad both read to me and my siblings every day. Right now I'm reading a book called "Real Moms... Real Jesus" but I don't have much quiet time these days so I'm learning to sneak it in whenever I can! Any suggestions for more good reading? I'd love to hear from you!
4. Photography is my new-found niche. I never thought that I could do photography but my husband encouraged me to try it, taught me everything I know and he let me take his SLR! He's my hero in so many ways!
5. This is kinda random but I used to ride horses and I loved it. My first argument with my husband was over Western vs. English. He was 14 years old and I was 12 (and he wasn't my husband at the time :-) I want to get back into horseback riding- and I want to have my own horse!
6. Someday I would like to create amazing, delicious food like Gordon Ramsay but every time I try to make a dish that is more complicated than Quesadillas I freak out which is when my Knight comes in and rescues the meal (and he does cook like chef Ramsay)!
7. Someday I want to raise chickens, goats and other barnyard type animals.
8. Someday I want to have a big garden with gardeny type plants.
9. Are you beginning to wonder what I do all day? Well, I have three children: a 4 year old, a 2 year old and a 7 month old who keep me pretty busy. They are each unique and amazing. I'm learning so much!
10. I love the Lord because He first loved me. 1 John 4:10 says:
"In this is love, not that we have loved God but that he loved us and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins."
Here are 10 blogs that deserve the Beautiful Blogger Award:
The word for day three is "Multi-layered" and the first thing that came to mind was "dessert!"
The second thing that comes to mind is the way I use layers in my oil paintings- washes, glazes and thick globs of paint! I haven't painted in a while and I was never good at making bold marks on canvas but I still like the way this detail came out!
I started the Creativity Boot Camp last night but I'm just now posting this photo. The random word prompt "Ivory" immediately made me think of piano keys and although I don't have a regular piano... I do have a "baby grand"!
Here is a great little post about camera gear and lenses on girl talk which is a fantastic blog- take a look around while you are there!
She uses a Nikon and I use a Canon (and of course I'll root for Canon) but I completely agree with her on fixed (prime) lenses! I'm a huge fan of my 50 f/1.8mm prime. One of my first photos with it (straight out of the camera):
"The spacious firmament on high, With all the blue ethereal sky, And spangled heavens, a shining frame, Their great Original proclaim. Th'unwearied sun, from day to day, Does his Creator's pow'r display, And publishes to every land The work of an almighty hand.
Soon as the evening shades prevail, The moon takes up the wondrous tale, And nightly to the list'ning earth Repeats the story of her birth; Whilst all the stars that round her burn, And all the planets in their turn, Confirm the tidings as they roll, And spread the truth from pole to pole.
What though in solemn silence all Move round this dark terrestrial ball? What though nor real voice nor sound Amidst their radiant orbs be found? In reason's ear they all rejoice, And utter forth a glorious voice; For ever singing, as they shine, "The hand that made us is divine."
Hey, Something amazing has happened- I won the white photo challenge! I've never won first place before. Ever. Just a couple months ago I was feeling mediocre and discouraged about my photography when I saw a photo contest on Simplicity's blog and set out with a theme in mind- my life was changed forever! Well, maybe that's exaggerating a little but you get my point. These contests have motivated me to use my camera as an artistic outlet and looking at the other photographer's work has inspired me to be more creative as well. So thanks!