Saturday, July 3, 2010

Open: a different take

1 AM- is this a good time to reflect? Maybe...
Last week my husband's uncle died. While visiting with distant relatives before the funeral, a friendly and polite young man (I think he was about 16 years old) came up to me and said "I know you, you are Ian's sister." The young man's dad was nearby and said "Yes! How is Ian? Wait a minute, he was in a car accident or something last year, wasn't he?" Yes, my brother died. He was 16. And that young man reminded me very much of my brother- so polite, so friendly. I have missed Ian everyday since he died and I'm wondering, will it always hurt so much to think about him? Last night as I drove by the fire station I saw that the
doors of each fire truck and ambulance were standing open.
Those firefighters and EMTs and Paramedics are ready to work hard to save lives every night. There are allot of people who need help. I realized that I should spend more energy looking for ways to help others instead of being so introspective. I'm not exactly sure what action to take but here is a verse from the Bible that has comforted me many times:


"The LORD is good,
A stronghold in the day of trouble,
And He knows those who take refuge in Him."
-Nahum 1:7

1 comment:

  1. thanks for sharing. how horrible to have to go through losing your brother. I can not imagine. I don't know the answer to these questions but however, you are looking in the right direction and I am sure that God will help you through. Great perspective on open.

    ReplyDelete