Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Horse Sense

Remember Chocolate? We are having a good time. Well, I don't know about the horse but I'm having the time of my life! I'm also learning a lot as I pick up riding again. 

"Your horse can only be as brave as you are."
I'm learning that Choc hesitates the very moment I feel doubt. I have to tell myself that we can and we will. I'm talking about little stuff like picking up the canter from a walk 
or going through a puddle, 
nothing awesome like a 6' oxer.
This mental exercise is really good for me because I'm not the most confident... 
...maybe I shouldn't admit that. Agh, see what I mean??


"There are only two emotions that belong in the saddle; one is a sense of humor and the other is patience." -John Lyons

My awesome trainer Jess with one of her horses, Fancy. 

One of my trainer's other horses, Frankie :)
Here he is jumping a pole on the ground!
Are you familiar with the fight or flight instinct? Well, in Choc it expresses itself in sorta freaking out at anything new! Perfect example: a pile of rocks "appeared" outside the ring a couple weeks ago. Jess let Choc run around before our lesson to get comfortable with the change and even though she had seen them earlier in the week she still snorted and ran as if she was being chased by a lion. Apparently that was the scariest pile of rocks she had ever seen and she refused to go near that side of the ring. Jess ended up leading her around slowly and patiently, closer and closer, talking and patting her until they were standing beside the 
Dreaded Killer Rocks. 
And believe it or not, they didn't attack her!
Jess says that Chocolate has gotten a lot better over the years...
wow.

Fear of the unknown. I feel it sometimes, and it doesn't make sense.
God holds the universe in his hand, he made me and takes care of me.
Why should I fear?

1 comment:

  1. oh Abi!! How awesome that you are riding again. It must be wonderful after all of this time to get back into that.

    ReplyDelete