Monday, August 15, 2011

i heart volunteers

I really love volunteers- flower volunteers to be more specific!
This Zinnia is a volunteer.
And so is this!

And this!
Edit: A volunteer is a plant that re-seeded itself and grew up unexpectedly. 
While it is very exciting to find little sprouts popping up, I don't have any tips for how to make your plants volunteer... I guess that's the nature of "volunteering" isn't it?
So here is a way to harvest your own Marigold seeds:

1. Snip off the dead heads

2. Pull off the petals

3. Open the flower

4. Plant your seeds or save them in a cool, dry place for next year.
It just occurred to me that you'll save about $2.00! ;)
Is anyone else laughing? 

Happy Monday, y'all!

5 comments:

  1. It's true...flowers make the best volunteers. How creative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous pictures, every single one!

    But I think technically, a volunteer is a seed that falls entirely on it's own and comes up unexpectedly the following year. Seed saving is something else entirely. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jess, you are absolutely right, I jumped tracks there in the middle! Thanks for calling me on it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you remember Alice Wright's back yard? She had masses of "heritage" Impatiens flowers. They all re-seeded every year. Some of (most of) the new hybrid flowers won't produce viable seeds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I heart volunteers too! Love you photos, especially the marigold in the garden. I enjoyed watching your marigold sequence.

    ReplyDelete