Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Roasted Corn with Basil Butter

Simple, Flavorful, Flexible.

A couple months ago, my husband made delicious roasted corn on the cobb for a family cook out. It was so delicious that I still catch myself day dreaming about it from time to time... just last night I thought wistfully about that mouth watering corn as I cooked dinner. Unfortunately I didn't actually have any corn on the cobb and at 6:00 PM it's too late to run to the store with 3 little ones. Apparently I suffer from Planning Deficit Disorder because this kind of thing happens way too often. But, even though I only had frozen corn kernels I forged ahead- and it worked! Who says frozen food has to be bland? It came together very quickly and it can be served with anything (no promises that it actually goes with anything).

Last night it went into a salad!
Bacon, lettuce, tomato, green onions and roasted corn with ranch dressing and fresh ground black pepper.

Grilled Corn on the Cob with Basil Butter
Basil Butter
1/2 stick butter, softened
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh basil leaves
salt & freshly ground black pepper
Corn
5 ears corn, husked
5 sheets heavy duty foil
Directions
Combine all basil butter ingredients in a small bowl; mix well.
Preheat grill (or oven to 350 degrees).
Place each ear of corn on sheet of foil. Spread prepared butter on each ear of corn; wrap securely. Place wrapped corn on preheated grill on medium heat. Cook 20 to 30 minutes or until heated through, turning occasionally during cook time. Unwrap and serve corn with remaining basil butter. 5 servings.

or if you suffer from PDD, simply heat corn kernels and basil butter in a heavy pan or cast iron skillet until hot, about 5 minutes.

I 'm going to start planning dinner now while I have plenty of time... we shall see how it goes :)


2 comments: